A Church Determined to Grow in the Spirit
The History of Corinthian Missionary Baptist Church
The Corinthian Missionary Baptist Church was organized and established by the St. Louis Street Missionary Baptist Church, and services were held at the home of James Johnson, 1703 Elliott Street.
In 1888 an edifice was erected on the northwest corner of Weinacker Avenue and Elliott Street under the leadership of Rev. M. L. Johnson.
Under the pastorate of Rev. Leon Taylor the Church was renovated in 1961 and the E. A. Palmer Educational Building was added in 1965. The new Sanctuary was built in 1993 under the divine guidance of Rev. Willie W. Gore.
Corinthian Missionary Baptist Church's mission is to carry out the redemptive message of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and to work to liberate humanity spiritually, physically, economically and socially. In an effort to fulfill her mission, Corinthian Missionary Baptist Church is committed to achieving the following objectives:
• Witnessing the message of the Gospel to the lost.
• Using her resources to relieve the suffering of the downtrodden.
• Tutoring our young people and teaching them how to be successful in life.
• Teaching our young people ethics and etiquette.
• Teaching the membership how to be politically astute.
• Mentoring our young men and women.
• Training and nurturing the membership.
• Having a worshipping fellowship where God encounters people.
HAVING been led, as we believe, by the Spirit of God, to receive the Lord Jesus Christ as our Saviour, and on the profession of our faith, having been baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, we do now, in the presence of God, angels, and this assembly, most solemnly and joyfully enter into covenant with one another, as one body in Christ.
WE ENGAGE, THEREFORE, by the aid of the Holy Spirit, to walk together in Christian love; to strive for the advancement of this church, in knowledge, holiness, and comfort, to promote its prosperity and spirituality; to sustain its worship, ordinances, discipline, and doctrines; to contribute cheerfully and regularly to the support of the ministry, the expenses of the church, the relief of the poor, and the spread of the gospel through all nations.
WE ALSO ENGAGE to maintain family and secret devotions; to religiously educate our children; to seek the salvation of our kindred and acquaintances; to walk circumspectly in the world; to be just in our dealings, faithful in our engagements, and exemplary in our deportment; to avoid all tattling, backbiting, and excessive anger; to abstain from the sale and use of intoxicating drink as a beverage, and to be zealous in our efforts to advance the kingdom of our Saviour.
WE FURTHER ENGAGE to watch over one another in brotherly love; to remember each other in prayer; to aid each other in sickness and distress; to cultivate Christian sympathy in feeling and courtesy and speech; to be slow to take offense, but always ready for reconciliation, and mindful of the rules of our Saviour, to secure it without delay.
WE MOREOVER ENGAGE that, when we remove from this place, we will as soon as possible, unite with some other church where we can carry out the spirit of this covenant and the principles of God's Word.